Tuesday, November 8, 2011

When Mother Nature Calls, She Yells

After I had left Lisa Wright's pad, I made my way to Penny Caster's place. Now, she was the hostess with the mostest - mostest dogs in her place. Abe Marshall, Randy Dye, Louanne Twa and Chris Jobe all stayed at her place for Northlands. I had brought my gypsy crew, Gin and her pups, Lyn and Floss - who was expecting any day. Total count of dogs, 22....and not a dog licence in sight.


I got up bright and early, ready to judge the final day at Northlands (I had cleaned my glasses specifically for this), and before I set out, I put the dogs out in the back yard.


Well - the fire department almost had to be called.


Floss, in her motherly wisdom, decided to crawl under Penny's garden shed in the back, which sat only about 8 inches from the fence. No amount of pleading would bring her out. Penny crawled between the fence, and was able to get close to the hole to hold onto Floss's collar, but she couldn't pull her out. I am not sure how I did it, but I squeezed down beside the hole, and tried to pull Floss out. She was stuck. Stuck like glue. And I was feeling stuck as well, and willing myself not to hyperventilate because of the claustrophobia setting in. Well, Penny flew in the house, Chris Jobe was ready to come out in her bra (oh my burning eyes), and people were ready to knock down the fence beside the garden shed to get Floss out.


I managed to dig out the back fill of dirt she had pushed behind her with my free hand, and I dragged her out before 911 was dialed.


Whew.


Into the locked crate, in my locked vehicle she went, and during Northlands she had her 6 pups.This could have been the picture on the front page of the Edmonton Sun, but I will settle for it in this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection
    of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.


    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
    You have
    done a extraordinary job!

    Feel free to visit my web blog - Click Here

    ReplyDelete