Sunday, July 17, 2011

These Boots Were Made For Walking....

...at the Wildrose Classic. This was a first trial hosted by Don Grant and his family, and it was going to be the one in history for the muddiest. It started with a great bang after a hail storm on the night prior to the trial - of which I was not in attendance...thank God. But, the storm allowed us all to show off our fashionable footwear.

The ever popular Muckboots were everywhere.

They come in all colors as well. In this family, it helps prevent people from mixing up each others boots.
For those people wanting hide from the others, they brought out their camo-boots.

Of course, there were the old standbys...I remember when I was 6 my first pair of boots were this kind. Shiny black and red ones.

They now come in different colors now, tan...

.....and green soles.

The red ones outnumbered the rest.

Then there were the ones that were quite more fashionable. Reminds me of That 70's Show. I feel like a brownie.Expect a cover spread in next month's Vogue...or perhaps Working Border Collie.



I promise I will shave my legs for the photo shoot Bruce Fogt.


Being the first trial in Alberta this year, it was time to reminisce with old friends.

The sun did come out momentarily throughout the weekend.

Being the social butterfly I am, it was hard to spread my time evenly between all friends.


The ghost ewe showed her presence fleetingly during the trial. Perhaps she will be found next year.

When it got too cold outside, Jaimie VanRyn and I kept warm, and hydrated in the warmth of Dora (the Explorer).

I ensured that my drink was the healthiest possible. The nectar of the fruit flowed freely.

Jaimie and I rocked to the tunes of Sugarland. I also showed her my prowess in drumming. A skill I never knew I had.

Of course, we couldn't go home that night (due to the mud of course, please tell that to my mother). Chris Jobe graciously put us up in her trailer. Chris got up 5 am to graze the sheep, and at 5:10 I heard her trying to get her truck out...the purr of the diesel led me back to sleep. At 5:55 I awoke the the sound of the diesel again, albeit a lot quieter. I thought to myself, "Did Chris get stuck again?" Then I realized that growling of the motor was actually Sleeping Beauty (aka Jamie VanRyn) in the bed beside me.

The next day was a warmer day. Fly did her runs from the sidelines.

Many of us went up and helped set out. By the second day all glitches were worked out, and the sets were brought out quickly.

Don and Randy discussed how well the trial was going, and how much fun it will be to do the next year.

Looking west from the setout, I am sure Don was not looking forward in pulling everyone out of the field.

I ran Floss, Creed and Gin on the weekend. Floss did not do spectacular - forgetting her flanks, cutting her flanks, and not doing her flanks. Back to the drawing board with her. Creed did quite well. Of course I can say this, since I did not get any pictures of him.

Gin did her best, and got 3rd overall (behind this Scott Glen fellow and his dogs). However, Gin did beat Don (yes, whipped his sorry ass) on the second day. (Sorry Scott, I get to say this so rarely, I have to announce it to the world. I will expect an ass whipping at the next trial. The ass of course being me!)

After the trial we all packed up, I packed up my new dog (well really it is old...his name is Dan, and in a year's time he will be the spitting image of Gin...and with his attitude I also will be spitting up blood from the ulcer he will cause me.)

Don Grant had to pull each and everyone of us out. We didn't get home until 12 am....time enough for a quick 4 hour sleep so we could pack up again to head to Calgary to the Stampede.

Red Bull, the reason trial people are in the vertical position. I may sell them next year the first morning of Stampede. I could make a killing.


Stay tuned for the ongoing saga of .....As The Wool Turns.

1 comment:

  1. Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness to your post
    is simply spectacular and that i can suppose you're knowledgeable in this subject. Fine with your permission let me to clutch your feed to keep updated with coming near near post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.
    Also visit my webpage - diets that work

    ReplyDelete