Thursday, May 20, 2010

Paxton Valley Bound

Well, it is time for the Paxton Valley Trial near Falkland, British Columbia. Jill Brodie is going to go out with me. This is the second time for me to go to this trial, and am looking forward to it. It is in a beautiful location, and the people are fantastic. Holly Brunner puts on a well organized trial with the help of Lee Lumb. I haven't been working the dogs as much as I wanted to - I have been busy these past few weeks- mostly sheep related. I have been still feeding the wooly monsters, been buying some sheep, and then getting them all vaccinated, dewormed and shorn.
This is one of the new buys - some Scottish Blackface - they should be lambing in June sometime.
My bottle babies are growing, now they are out on grass - out of the 13, I only lost 2 - one to pneumonia, and the other engorged himself to death - not sure if it was as good as death by chocolate, but at least he died with a full belly.


I call this one Big Bertha.
I also picked up some other sheep the other day from the auction mart - I got a deal of the century there - we call her Grandma Gertie. If you look up "rack of bones", it will have a picture there of her. For $1.00, I couldn't go wrong. I also picked up some other cull ewes with her, to the tune of $130.00 - I vaccinated them all the next day, and one of them had an anaphylactic response to the vaccine- and she died. But Gertie lives on!! It'll probably take $140.00 of feed to fatten her up - yup, I know a deal when I see one.



1 comment:

  1. Gasp! I am envious of your Scottish Blackface! Make sure your fences are good tho. They can escape from anything!

    ReplyDelete